Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy (budumpba!)

Doc decided to not repack my brain!!! One more MRI, one deeper probe and this whole saga will be over-pending I pass. If MRI shows any leaking, infection, or swelling then he will place a layer of silicone like substance over the surgerical field - either way, NO PACKING of brain. Been having chats w/ brain & p-gland (suck it up buttercup, get in the game, cowboy up) and think they're on board! No strenuous exercise or flying yet. Shagging was not on the not allowed list this time; however either was bungee jumping, bull riding, flying on a trapeze (all of which are on my bucket list) – guess he compiled all the above into strenuous exercise.

We had a really great chat about the whole project brain probe. Although he is not completely satisfied with my healing, he wants to include my case into a study that he and neurosurgeon hope to have published. It is amazing how many people actually have a tumor, and not just impacting pituitary, that don’t find out until its too late; meaning there is some form of damage, or they are on autopsy table. Dr. Lee commented on how they had completed three similar surgeries in November and five in December, and none in January – really slow month. I returned with “Gee, don’t know why biz has slowed down – I’ve referred all my friends with brain base tumors to you”. He had to step away from the nasal/brain probe in fear of piercing my frontal lobe, whereby killing me, when he started laughing. Thank you, I’ll be here all week!

Also discussed the cost of surgery and socialized medicine. Out of the $34k+ hospital billed insurance, he only gets a very small portion of the hospital’s cut– he makes more money on office visits than surgery, and since this is a fairly new procedure, it is coded as experimental so he gets half of what he would get %wise on fixing a deviated septum, for example. Obviously he is not a big supporter of socialized medicine, yet he and his colleagues are at least investigating more options for prescription meds i.e. purchasing from foreign vendors to cut down costs for the patient.

These last two weeks have been the best I have felt since the diagnosis. I still have headaches, some blurry vision at night, bright lights and loud noises still pierce my head; however I am getting less exhausted by the end of the work day or doing chores. I am ready to get back to gym, riding my bike (with a helmet designed by NASCAR if I can find one!), and normal levels of cavorting. Still not ready to hit Vegas or party circuit although have been getting more comfortable with the lounge scene.

Thank you again for your support, positive thoughts, and laughs!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For future reference:
http://baltimore.trapezeschool.com/
There's also one in McLean (or was a few years ago), but their website is no more:
Circus Arts Workshop, 1153 Bellview Rd., McLean, 703-759-0767.
I learned here.

Swirl Girl said...

Tara-
WTF???

We really NEED to talk...
please try to call Monday. You wrote this earlier this week. what is up right now???

Dootie and Wahltah